Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Spinach Smoothies

Yup, you read that correctly. Spinach smoothies. Sounds disgusting, right? Well it ain't. I tried a spinach smoothie not once, but twice today!  As previously mentioned, I am fighting yet another head cold and I'm always searching for non-medicated ways of overcoming nasty germs, quickly.  A friend of mine mentioned that she found an interesting recipe on 'Pinterest' called the Green Monster, found here. (Sidenote: Props to anyone who has the patience to use Pinterest...WAY too overwhelming for this girl).

Green Monster Ingredients
1 banana, peeled, sliced & frozen
1 cup milk
1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt (super duper high in protein!)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
4 cups fresh baby spinach

Method
Chuck everything into a blender and blend until smooth.

This morning I followed the recipe exactly and 'Iowa Girl Eats' didn't lie -  you cannot taste the spinach at all!  I found it to be far too filling and couldn't finish it so I decreased ingredient amounts for my round two smoothie after work today when I decided to create my own monster. It turned out ahhhh-maze-in' if I do say so myself! I would HIGHLY recommend adding two huge handfuls of fresh baby spinach to any smoothie you are making.  Doesn't smell, taste or have the texture of spinach at all. Trust me, you will love it! The great thing about smoothies is you can chuck in whatever you have hanging around.  This one is a little tart, but I love sour stuff.  Enjoy!

Berry Monster Ingredients
1 small handful of frozen raspberries
1/2 cup fat free honey Greek yogurt (PC brand)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup POM juice
4 cups of fresh baby spinach

Method
Chuck everything into a blender and blend until smooth.

*for the record, I didn't ingest 8 cups of spinach today.  I didn't finish my first one and I halved the recipe for my 2nd one.  I should also mention that my morning shake stuck with me four 4.5 hours and I didn't feel hungry at all.

SPINACH IS THE NEW BLACK. just saying....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally made the green monster after finding it on Pinterest. It is soooo yummy! And you are so right about it filling you up! It makes a great breakfast because by lunch time I wasn't starving.