Sunday, January 13, 2013

Green Smoothie with Oats

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I would be jumping back on my green smoothie bandwagon after my holiday bingefest. I've been back to work for a week and have had one every morning since.  The thing I love the most about these smoothies is that you can add whatever fruit your heart desires (or whatever you freezer is stocked with).  The one downfall to my smoothie recipe --- it only has 2 food groups; fruits & veggies, and dairy.  I'm a firm believe (and preacher to my students) that if you are going to eat a meal you should have at the very least, 3 food groups.  I decided to spend some time yesterday morning experimenting with my smoothie recipe and researching nutritional information to see if it would be worth it to add oats into my smoothies.  Adult females need 21+ grams of fibre a day and about 45grams of protein a day. I put together the below chart -- check it out. My opinion is that adding oats is totally worth it.  While the texture changes just slightly when oats are added the flavour doesn't at all.  Tonight I'm going premeasure my ingredients in the blender (except for the frozen fruit) and give the oats the night to soak.  I think this will make the consistency a lot smoother. (update: it didn't make a huge difference at all). I always make a double batch in the morning because my husband and I both drink them.  Here is the nutritional information and recipe for ONE serving. 
*please note that I added water to this recipe because I've added the oats



No comments: